Australia - Destination for Education
While overseas study is expensive, Australia is more affordable than most other destinations and offers a high standard of quality education, excellent living condition and a tolerant multicultural society. Australia's Higher Education Institutions rank among the world's best and the quality of education they offer is correspondingly high.
Higher education in Australia provides value for money by offering shorter and more intensive courses, they quickly incorporate latest innovations in science & technology, modern trends in marketing & management in their diploma/degree programs, hence Australian education is more practical and responsive to the needs of Trade & Industry.
Australia seems to be high on the list for many reasons:
Indian 12+3 is acceptable for masters degree.
Duration for the masters courses is between 1, 1.5 to 2 yrs.
Competitive costs for tuitions and living in comparison to other developed countries. Like USA, UK etc.
Australian education is recognized world wide from US to NZ.
High Standard of education in international terms, good research facilities available with state of the art equipment.
Visa process is straightforward and fair.
Currently over 40000 Indian Students in Australia.
Australian universities are members of an International Academic community and academic staff are frequently recruited on an international basis.
Australian academics and graduates are keenly recruited into institutions overseas, indicating a measure of Quality Education.
ESOS Act to protect the interest of overseas students.
Safe country with pleasent climate and a stable democracy.
The Association of Australian Education Representatives in India (AAERI) - Edwise is an accredited member of AAERI - since its inception. The Association is supported by Australian High Commission, New Delhi and its members. AAERI aims to maintain high level of ethics in the profession of counselling and students recruitment for Australia.
In Australia every course offered in a university has CRICOS Code which is given by Australian Government reflecting that the education system is fully controlled by the Government in Australia. There is no formal ranking of universities. Thus students from all around the world have long made Australia their education destination.
Australian Qualification Framework (AQF)
Australia has an integrated nationwide system of qualifications, known as the Australian Qualification Framework (AQF), which is recognized by the Australian Government. Under this, students can move easily from one level of study to the next and receive credit for previous study. It brings together the quality offered at different levels.
Type of institution
There are 39 universities ranging in size from around 3,000 students to 50,000 students - 37 of these are government run. Australian universities offer undergraduate and postgraduate programs in traditional and modern subject areas such as innovative courses in IT, electronic business and science. Australian academics have won prestigious awards, including several Nobel Prizes, and are involved in ground-breaking research.
Courses available at Under Graduate & Graduate Level
Awarded courses vary considerably with the higher education sector in the form of entry requirements, duration and method of assessment. The following awards are offered by Australian Universities:
- Doctoral Degree
- Masters Degree
- Graduate Diploma / Graduate Certificate
- Bachelors Degree
- TAFE Certificate III & IV
- Undergraduate Diploma / Advanced Diploma and
- Associate Diploma/ AQF (Australian Quality Framework) Diploma
- Humanities : English, Philosophy, History, Foreign Language Studies, Communications, Psychology
- Education : Education Studies, Teaching, Early Childhood, Special Education
- Social Studies : Geography, Behavioural Studies, Welfare And Counseling, Sport And Recreation, Sociology
- Mathematics And Computing : Mathematics And Statistics, Computer Based Information System, Computer Science
- Science : Science Pharmacology, Chemistry, Environmental Science, Biotechnology
- Visual And Performing Arts : Art, Graphic Arts, Fashion Design, Crafts, Performing Arts, Music
- Engineering : Chemical, Civil, Electrical, Electronics, Structural, Mechanical, Automotive, Aeronautical, Mining, Industrial, General Engineering, Computer, Telecommunications, Mechatronics, Polymer, Environmental
- Business Administration And Law : Economics, Accounting, Commerce, Management, Administration, Marketing, Finance, HR
- Health Sciences : Nursing, Nutrition, Environmental Health, Personal And Family Health Care, Pharmacy, Veterinary Sci, Public Health, Physiotherapy.
- Agriculture : Agriculture, Forest, Horticulture
- Hospitality & Tourism : Hotel Management, Tourism Management, Commercial Cookery.
Vocational Education and Training in Australia (VET)
Australia offers a wide variety of vocational education and training courses. Each year increasing numbers of international students are choosing the TAFE option, either as a means of training and qualifying for a highly skilled job in business, the arts, or industry, or as an alternative pathway into university degree studies. The advantages for international students choosing to undertake TAFE studies are numerous but lower fees is one of the main criteria.
Types of degrees to Study in Australia
Undergraduate Studies in Australia:
Bachelor programmes may vary from 3 to 4 years. They are available across all faculties of Arts Commerce, Science, IT.
Postgraduate Studies in Australia:
Australia offers a wide variety of choices for post graduate studies .The individual universities offer different strengths and capabilities, providing a diverse base for research for students. Australian Universities pride themselves on a strong research base and sate of the art equipment to their Universities.
Intakes to Study in Australia
Australia generally has two intakes i.e. February and July, with few Universities offering multiple intake in September & November. It is suggested that you should start making applications ideally 7-8 months prior to the intake. University generally takes around 4-6 weeks to process the applications.
Documents needed for making an application are resume, statment of purpose, marksheets and passing certificates from 10th onwards, two reference letters from colleges / employers and passport copy or birth certificate & IELTS score sheet.
Entry Requirements / Eligibility
Undergraduate - Bachelors
- A good academic record in High School Certificate or 12 years of schooling
- Some courses such as Computing and Engineering will require Mathematics and /or Science as pre-requisites
- 6.0 IELTS
Study Postgraduate in Australia – Study Masters in australia
- A good academic record in Bachelors Degree from a recognized university is necessary
- Any work experience in the field will be helpful
- For MBA programs at some Universities students need to have work experience along with their Bachelors Degree
- 6.5 IELTS
Edwise is an authorised agent by the Australian high commisson for processing the visas electronically.
- Student visa is valid till a month after the corse completion.
- Course requirements must be satisfied and valid enrolment maintained.
- Students may not work more than 20 hours per week while the course is in session.
- Students must maintain health insurance while in Australia.
A student breaching any of these conditions may be required to terminate their studies and leave Australia. Even before a student visa is issued, there are certain requirements which must be met to the satisfaction of the Australian authorities abroad.
The prospective student should :
- Be accepted for a full-time course of study (registered by the Australian Government for overseas students).
- Not intend to become a permanent resident.
- Have adequate financial means for the duration of their studies.
- Have evidence of arrangements for health insurance in Australia.
- Have reasonable proficiency in English to successfully undertake the intended course. (IELTS)
- Have a Confirmation of Enrolment (COE) from the institute for any preliminary course you have enrolled & the Offer lettter / COE for the Principal Course.
- Have a current passport valid for the period of stay in Australia.
- Have access to an acceptable Credit Card.
- Have access to sufficient funds to cover study cost, living cost, accommodation and to and fro travel expenses. Satisfy the health requirements as per the Asutralian high commission rules.
- Be of a good character.
- Part Time work rights included in student visa
- Student visa information now being stored online so actual evidencing of student visa on passports is not required
- Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) system, allows visa holders & their employers, banks & government services to check the visa entitlement on visa holders consent. For mor information visit www.immi.gov.au/evisa/evo.htm
- Issuing of visa may take as long as 3 months
Australian Student visa application can be processed in 2 ways, Electronically (E-visa) & Manually (Paper base visa) under the guidance of experienced Australia immigration experts at EDWISE you can certainly bid adieu to all worrisome tasks involved in your visa procedure.
"Edwise are the E-visa lodgment agent and AAERI member"
Where to Apply:
If an Applicant wants to apply online, then e-visa is lodged directly from the Australian High Commission's online gateway which is assessed in Adelaide, Australia;
If an Applicant wants to apply paper base visa then an applicant can submit their visa application at any of the VFS Application Centers available in 10 cities
a. How many days prior a student can apply for visa
It is adviced to file for Visa 3 months in Advance to avoid any delay
b. Document Checklist
The Documents required for Visa has to be in 5 sets
1. Personal Details forms & Information
2. All Academics - Originals
3. All Financial Documents - Originals
4. All Academic Documents - Notary Attested
5. All financial documents - Notary Attested
c. Visa Application Fees
The Visa application fees currently are AUD $ 540. (Subject to change)
d. Processing Time
The processing time required by the high is 8-12 weeks
English Ability Requirements
IELTS is mandatory to obtain Australian Student Visa
For more information you can meet the Visa counselor at Edwise branch.
(Updated till 1st June 2010)
Edwise International - Overseas Education Consultants
Head Office - Metro Mumbai
Jer Mahal, Gr. Flr., Dhobi Talao,
Opp. Metro Cinema, Mumbai-400 002.
Tel: +91 - 22 - 40813333 / 22003338
Fax: +91 - 22 - 22003269